Virtual homeport of Scarlette
Scarlette's Specifications
Scarlette's History
Frequently Asked Questions
This link won't work on Government Computers.
During the 2009 stepdown
of
Scarlette's mast, I
noticed that mast boot
basically was allowing
water into the cabin. The
seal wasn't holding. Since I
already had the $7 a/tube
Sekaflex out knowing it
would dry out if I didn't use
it all, I decided to try to seal
the mast boot with the
remaining Sekaflex from
the main hatch repair.
Here's how that went.
Crusing information
Scarlette's makeover
Crew information
Previous voyages on Scarlette
E-mail Scarlette's Skipper
2009 Repairs: Mast boot gets resealed with Sekaflex
PHOTO 1: I started at the back of the mast were the mast boot had separated the farthest
from the former seal. I tried to put as mush sealant on as this was a nothing to lose fix.
PHOTO 2: After I globbed as much sealant
on as possible I took a piece of cardboard
paper and smoothed the Sekaflex a little.
The result still looks like some kind of cake
with frosting.
PHOTO 3: Same as other shots. The white
sealant on the mast above the mast boot
was extra I put on there to cover some of the
top portion of the boot.